Staging a Firearm for Home Defense
Home defense is one of the leading reasons many new gun buyers choose to own a firearm, but sometimes, while learning to safely use the firearm is a high priority, they fail to consider an exact plan of action should they ever be required to defend their home or family. Choosing how and where to store a firearm for ready access is an important decision with a number of variables, particularly when there are children living in or visiting the home. Self-defense expert Rob Pincus offers the following guidelines when determining how best to stage a defensive firearm in the home.
- Balance security from unauthorized use with efficient access in an emergency with an easy-to-use, quick-access safe. NEVER leave firearms and ammunition where kids or other unauthorized individuals can access them.
- If you only have one firearm staged for defensive use, place it in the location that you’re mostly likely to barricade yourself from an intruder as you contact police.
- Periodically run practice drills with your entire family on what to do should someone attempt to enter the home and pose a threat. The best preparedness comes from practice.
- To be viable tools for defense, firearms must be stored with ammunition. In an emergency, there may not be time to search through two locations for both a gun and its ammunition.
- Ensure that your storage option complies with all state and local requirements.
- A great option in the home that can also be used when traveling and staying in a hotel or another person’s home is a portable, quick-access safe that can be attached to something sturdy with a cable lock.
Winchester Ammunition, The American Legend. The global leader in sporting, law enforcement, military, and personal defense ammunition.
- November 2014| 4 posts
- October 2014| 4 posts
- September 2014| 5 posts
- August 2014| 7 posts
- July 2014| 4 posts
- June 2014| 5 posts
- May 2014| 4 posts
- April 2014| 51 posts
- March 2014| 5 posts
- February 2014| 6 posts
- January 2014| 49 posts
- December 2013| 10 posts
- November 2013| 5 posts
- October 2013| 3 posts
- September 2013| 5 posts
- August 2013| 3 posts